Are you prepared for some good previous trend robotic bashing, smashing, and clashing? In A.E.G.I.S., not solely do you get to battle it out together with your staff of robots, however you can too mix robots into stronger, quicker preventing machines!
What Is A.E.G.I.S.?
A.E.G.I.S. is a 2-Four participant tactical fight recreation the place you battle head-to-head, or as groups, till one aspect is victorious. There are not any victory factors or aims. This can be a simple fight recreation, however with plenty of choices. Relying on the variety of gamers, gameplay is 30–120 minutes, and the beneficial age is 14+. Whereas I’ve solely performed with adults, I consider that the mechanics and theme make A.E.G.I.S. accessible to a barely youthful age. A.E.G.I.S. is revealed by Zephyr Workshop, and MSRP’s for $49.99. You’ll be able to verify together with your pleasant native recreation retailer to see if they’ve it or purchase it instantly from Zephyr Workshop.
If you open a field of A.E.G.I.S., that is what you’ll see:
- 1 Rulebook
- 1 Double-sided recreation board
- 28 Cardboard terrain tiles (in numerous sizes)
- 100 Cardboard robotic standees
- 13 Double-sided power trackers
- 44 Injury/Drain counters
- 18 Buff/Debuff counters
- Four Restrain/Disarm counters
- Three Cloaking counters
- 1 Rogue decoy
- 30 Plastic standee holders
- 100 Robotic playing cards
- 13 Commander playing cards
- 10 Coloured cube
- 25 Coloured standee bases
- 1 Customized field insert
Elements are colourful and top quality. Photograph by Michael G. Pistiolas
Let’s begin with the main target of the sport – the robots. A.E.G.I.S. has 100 robotic standees. That’s loads of totally different robots and much more workforce mixtures. Usually, in a fight recreation, I favor miniatures to standees, however within the case of A.E.G.I.S., I feel the standees are good for a number of causes. First, with 100 totally different robots, it will be troublesome to simply determine one robotic miniature from one other with out every one having a really distinct inventive fashion and/or paint job. Nevertheless, on the standee, the robotic picture corresponds to its card for straightforward identification. Moreover, every standee lists that bot’s primary stats immediately on them (motion, well being, and so forth.) for everybody to see while not having to reference its card. Secondly, offering standees permits all of A.E.G.I.S.‘s elements to be saved in a medium-sized field. And lastly, every standee is clearly numbered and corresponds with its card, making it straightforward to seek out them in case you hold them organized numerically. For my part, I feel utilizing standees was the right selection on this state of affairs.
Standees are simply readable and supply primary stats. Photograph by Michael G. Pistiolas
The double-sided board has a predetermined setup for a 2-player recreation on one aspect and a Three- or Four-player recreation on the opposite. It’s divided right into a hex grid and has some good inventive touches like timber and terrain to offer it some taste. Though the board exhibits places the place terrain tiles might be positioned, you’re welcome to arrange the tiles wherever you want, permitting for various setups and situations every recreation.
The power tracker boards characterize the out there commanders within the recreation. Every board features the identical, however with distinctive paintings.
Power tracker boards. Photograph by Michael G. Pistiolas
The final elements I’ll talk about are the cube and standee bases. These are each translucent and are available 5 totally different colours consultant of the totally different robotic courses (pink, inexperienced, blue, yellow, and purple). The standee bases make it clear which robots belong to which workforce.
General, the standard of the cardboard standees, tokens and recreation board are nice with good thickness and sturdiness. The playing cards are somewhat outsized, making them straightforward to learn and deal with on the desk. The paintings is manga fashion with distinctive paintings for every robotic and commander card. And greatest, of all, the field comes with a customized insert to simply retailer all of the elements when you’re accomplished enjoying.
The customized insert organizes and shops all of the elements. Photograph by Michael G. Pistiolas
Tips on how to Play A.E.G.I.S.
There’s a backstory and lore to A.E.G.I.S. that gives enjoyable taste and story to the general theme of the sport. With out moving into particulars, the world of A.E.G.I.S. is at struggle and is separated into 5 factions. Having lately found historic robots, these factions battle one another for management of the world. Every participant will play as a commander of one in every of these nations, bringing a military of 5 robots to every skirmish.
The robots themselves are divided into 5 classes:
- A-Class: Aggressive attackers
- E-Class: Swift scouts
- G-Class: Sturdy tanks
- I-Class: Tough technicians
- S-Class: Useful backliners
The 5 robotic courses. Photograph by Michael G. Pistiolas
There are additionally 5 robotic ranges within the recreation
- Degree 1: Primary Robots. These include your beginning bots and belong to one of many class varieties – A, E, G, I, or S.
- Degree 2: Duo-Class Robots are shaped when two robots of various courses mix.
- Degree Three: Trio-Class Robots are created by including a 3rd robotic to a degree 2 bot.
- Degree Four: Quadra-Class Robots comprise 4 robots.
- Degree 5: A.E.G.I.S. Class Robots. That is your Voltron-like megabot and is probably the most troublesome one to type because it have to be composed of 1 robotic from each class sort.
The 5 robotic ranges. Photograph by Michael G. Pistiolas
Anatomy of a Robotic Card
All the knowledge for every bot is conveniently situated on its card, and consists of:
- Class: The category is recognized by the letter or mixture of letters related to the robotic’s class as proven within the higher left nook of the cardboard.
- Motion: The variety of areas the robotic can transfer in a single flip and whether or not it could possibly fly. That is situated middle prime of the cardboard.
- Power: The quantity of power the bot generates for its group. That is situated within the higher proper nook of the cardboard.
- Identify: Every bot has a particular identify, ‘ARK 150’ as an example.
- Integrity: That is the robotic’s well being and is proven within the decrease proper nook of the cardboard. When a bot’s integrity reaches zero, it’s eradicated from the sport.
- Talents: Some bots may need a passive means that impacts the way it performs. If it has a capability, it is going to be listed on the backside of the cardboard.
- Actions: Every robotic has a number of actions that may be an assault or talent that can be utilized on different robots. These actions are listed on the backside of the cardboard.
- Faction: Some robots will probably be aligned with one of many 5 factions, which will probably be recognized by that faction’s image within the higher left nook of the cardboard, beneath its class.
Robotic card. Photograph by Michael G. Pistiolas
Creating Your Workforce
Earlier than starting, every participant builds a military of 5 robots. There are some standards that have to be adopted nevertheless:
- Your group can solely belong to a single faction. Fortuitously, a lot of the robots wouldn’t have faction symbols so this standards isn’t that limiting.
- You can’t have any duplicate robots in your workforce.
- You’ll be able to have just one commander robotic in your group though you don’t want any commanders if you’d like.
- Lastly, along with your beginning 5 robots, you might have a Mix Pool of as much as 5 robots. Per its identify, the Mix Pool is made up of robots which are Degree 2 via 5.
Beginning staff of 5 robots. Photograph by Michael G. Pistiolas
Format the board and place as much as 10 items of terrain on the board. Then every participant rolls a die. The participant with the upper roll goes first and deploys their workforce inside their beginning zone, adopted by the opposing participant, who does the identical.
The primary participant will take their whole flip, after which the subsequent participant will go. In your flip, decide your complete power output by including up all of the power produced by your lively robots and mark it in your power tracker. You possibly can then use that power to maneuver your robots, set off actions, and/or mix robots. Word that every robotic can solely activate as soon as per flip, however you do not want to activate each robotic every flip. Power is a restricted useful resource and the way you employ it’s a essential a part of your technique.
Board setup and recreation play. Photograph by Michael G. Pistiolas
Motion sometimes prices one power to maneuver one area until the robotic’s card states in any other case. As an example, some extra maneuverable bots can transfer a number of areas for a single power. Until a robotic has flight, it can’t transfer by means of terrain. Motion should happen earlier than taking an motion or combining robots.
Power can be used to set off actions. The power value for an motion is listed on the cardboard. Actions embrace:
- Injury: If profitable, this reduces the goal robotic’s integrity.
- Restore: This motion permits you to heal broken robots as much as their most integrity.
- Power Drain: This motion reduces the quantity of power a robotic produces, thus decreasing the general power your opponent should work with.
- Push / Pull: Because it states, this means lets you direct a robotic away or in the direction of you. Robots pushed off the board are destroyed whereas robots pushed into different bots or terrain take injury.
- Transfer: In contrast to the Push / Pull potential, Transfer permits you to transfer robots in any path; nevertheless, they can’t be moved off the board, nor do they take injury if moved into one other robotic or terrain.
- Buff / Debuff: This motion permits you improve / lower a selected potential of the goal bot. For example, you would buff a pleasant unit, growing its injury output.
Lastly, you could spend power on combining robots. Solely two robots might mix at a time they usually have to be adjoining to one another. Pay the price of the robotic that they’re combining into and substitute the 2 robotic standees with the brand new mixed robotic standee. Observe that when you mix robots, they can’t deconstruct again into the unique bots.
The A-class and E-class robotic combines into an AE-class robotic. Photograph by Michael G. Pistiolas
In case you have unused power on the finish of your flip, it may be used for defensive talents throughout an opponent’s flip. At first of your subsequent flip, your power will replenish to its most degree, based mostly on what robots you continue to have alive firstly of that flip.
The blue group advances in the direction of the purple squad. Photograph by Michael G. Pistiolas
Battles rage on till one of many following circumstances are met:
- One military is annihilated;
- One military can’t produce no less than 5 power at the beginning of its flip; or
- One military is unable to deal injury, drain power, push or pull the opponent, and they also retreat.
Why You Ought to Play A.E.G.I.S.
A.E.G.I.S. is a enjoyable, fast skirmish recreation with an ideal theme, impressed by exhibits like Voltron and Robotech. At its core, the sport is simple, with straightforward to know mechanics, making it accessible to entry degree gamers. In reality, the writer offered ten preconstructed decks that permit gamers to right away leap into the sport with out having to construct their very own groups. The decks are ordered in a approach that introduces gamers to new talents and methods progressively. Moreover, the punch boards with the robotic standees have been manufactured in order that the primary ten standees are for deck 1, the subsequent ten for deck 2 and so forth, making it even simpler to open the field and shortly begin enjoying without having to punch and arrange each element.
All that being stated, A.E.G.I.S. additionally presents the skilled participant a number of complexity in its gameplay. The sheer variety of robots out there lets you attempt totally different workforce mixtures each play, looking for the most effective mixtures of talents and actions. This, together with the variable board format, makes A.E.G.I.S. extraordinarily customizable and replayable. Each recreation offers a brand new problem and technique as to easy methods to greatest deploy your staff and overrun your opponent. In truth, whether or not or to not mix your robots and degree up provides a further layer to the general technique. Whereas greater degree bots are typically higher, combining robots sometimes reduces your general power quantity in addition to taking you one step nearer to defeat by having fewer bots on the board. All of those tactical selections make A.E.G.I.S. a enjoyable problem to any degree of gamer.
And if all that weren’t sufficient, along with the usual recreation mode, the rulebook lists a number of different methods to play the sport. The primary is known as Machine Chess, which performs equally to the usual mode besides opponents alternate turns, activating a single robotic at a time till all robots have activated. Then everybody’s power swimming pools replenish and a brand new spherical begins. I like this variant as it’s extra inline with comparable fight video games and doesn’t depart one participant open to a number of assaults earlier than getting a flip.
Level Management is one other model during which gamers every have a beginning workforce of eight robots however the victor is decided by the participant who reaches 14 factors first. Factors are earned by destroying enemy robots, controlling sure areas of the board, or combining right into a degree Four or 5 bot.
The subsequent choice is Mix Rondo, which permits gamers to start the sport with mixed robots as an alternative of all degree 1 bots. Every participant will get 9 Unite Factors to construct their staff. A robotic’s value is related to its degree. For instance, you possibly can construct a staff of a degree Four robotic, a degree Three robotic, and two degree 1 robots. Apart from that, the sport is performed the identical as the usual mode and robots can nonetheless mix into greater degree ones.
Lastly, there’s Draft Mode, which is supposed for greater participant counts of Four or 6 (to play 6 gamers, you would wish to buy the 6-player battle mat). First, shuffle all of the mixed robotic playing cards (Ranges 2-5) and deal 5 playing cards to every participant. Then shuffle the essential robotic playing cards (Degree 1) and deal ten playing cards to every participant. Gamers then decide one card from their primary robotic playing cards and cross the remaining to the left. This continues till every participant has ten primary robotic playing cards from which to construct a beginning workforce of 5 bots. This mode ignores faction guidelines and commander names.
As you’ll be able to see, A.E.G.I.S. provides plenty of totally different recreation modes within the core field. That mixed with the strong element high quality, enjoyable theme, and strategic gameplay, makes A.E.G.I.S. a keeper for me.
To subscribe to GeekDad’s tabletop gaming protection, please copy this hyperlink and add it to your RSS reader.
Click on right here to see all our tabletop recreation critiques.
Disclosure: GeekDad acquired a replica of this recreation for evaluate functions.
<img data-attachment-id="259121" data-permalink="https://geekmom.com/2018/01/family-friendly-robot-building-fun-robits/nomoney_/" data-orig-file="https://i1.wp.com/geekdad.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2017/08/NoMoney_.jpg?fit=1000%2C290&ssl=1" data-orig-size="1000,290" data-comments-opened="1" data-image-meta=""aperture":"zero","credit score":"","digital camera":"","caption":"","created_timestamp":"zero","copyright":"","focal_length":"zero","iso":"zero","shutter_speed":"zero","title":"","orientation":"zero"" data-image-title="NoMoney_" data-image-description="
No cash modified palms for this evaluate.
” data-medium-file=”https://i1.wp.com/geekdad.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2017/08/NoMoney_.jpg?fit=300%2C87&ssl=1″ data-large-file=”https://i1.wp.com/geekdad.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2017/08/NoMoney_.jpg?fit=1000%2C290&ssl=1″ class=”wp-image-259121 size-large alignnone” src=”https://i1.wp.com/geekdad.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2017/08/NoMoney_.jpg?w=100%25&ssl=1″ alt=”” peak=”auto” data-recalc-dims=”1″/>
Get the Official GeekDad Books!